Thursday, September 02, 2004

The End of a Long, Long Day

So rumor has it (everything's "rumor has it" around here... I heard this one from a 12 year-old so take it for what it's worth) Quinhagak is getting a cell phone tower. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Having happily left my Sprint PCS contract to move here, I'm really not prepared to do that whole thing. However, I can totally see how it would be useful for people out fishing on the river, etc, to be able to communicate with each other. I just really don't want to deal with the whole mess. Anyway, either I'm at home or I'm at school, so tracking me down isn't exactly rocket science.

A few boxes of goodies arrived from Recycled Miles (J and Dz's idea to get people to donate stuff to sports teams in need, starting with mine...). The girls were bashfully excited about the sports bras. A few already have them, and those that didn't now do. The boys were whining about not getting stuff when the girls got sports bras, but promptly shut their traps when I informed them that they were more than welcome to a sports bra or two. Aaaah, the pre-teen and early teen years... I wouldn't go back if you paid me. Also, informing them that some shoes (men's and women's) and water bottles are on the way quieted the whining significantly.

I've already started looking forward to next year... getting a better, earlier start to the cross country season, stuff I can do in the classroom... I just hope my enthusiasm holds out. So many teachers come into these kids' lives and then leave. I really don't want to be one of them. So far I'm very happy, and catch myself saying "maybe next year" and stuff like that. Here's hoping nothing happens to change my mind.

You know what I miss, though? Pizza. Yeah, we can sometimes get frozen pizzas here at the store (at an exorbitant price), but man could I go for a Spokes pizza, or maybe something from Uptown Pizza, or that new place that opened up right before I left... it's near Lyndale and Lake... what's it called... Galactic Pizza. Sumtin' like that. Or Bill's Pizza in Stevens Point, WI. Or maybe all of the above.

Soon I get my first paycheck. 'Twill be nice to not be panicky about money for once.

No comments: