Sunday, October 10, 2004

So nice...

...To not have to be at school on Sunday. Well, I'm here, but I'm not here to do lesson planning or grading or photocopying (Godess forbid we have enough books or workbooks for each student) or rearranging my room because they finally found me (nearly) enough chairs for all of my students. I'm here... doing laundry. We don't have a washing machine at our house, and the district is kind enough to realize that the washeteria (Alaskanese for a building with a laundromat, showers and steams, ours also has some meeting rooms for village business stuff) charges an arm and a leg to do laundry. So.... we get laundry days at the school. Teachers make more money, and yet we get this advantage over the rest of the community. Hmmmmmm...

Makes me wonder, though. If I had to do laundry at the washeteria, I'd have a whole different concept of what "clean" was. I see that in a lot of kids. They're not unhealthy-dirty, but if it's a three-way choice between paying $3.00 a load, washing clothes by hand, and wearing a pair of marginally clean pants, I'd think twice about insisting on clean clothes. I know people "in the real world" who won't wear the same shirt or pair of pants without washing them. Lighten up, sez I. Underwear, socks, undershirts, sure. Maybe T-shirts, if you sweat a lot. Those should be cleaned with every use. But jeans and sweatshirts? Hell no! Febreeze, my friends. Febreeze. 'Tis a magical potion, 'tis.

ADD Topic shift: My little sister got her first college acceptance letter! Awww, our little baby's growing up. Is she really that old? I changed her damn diapers! And she has the audacity to grow up and go to college!

No comments: