Friday, October 01, 2004

Happy Happy Joy Joy

This past week, I got to talk to four wonderful friends from back in the real world: Two phone calls and two e-mails. One's getting ready to have her baby and buy a house (!), one's struggling with a job she thought she wanted but really doesn't like, one just e-mailed to say hey (and to give me the author of the poem... HI SHIBBY!), and one (my cooperating teacher from last year) just gave me an all-around quick update on her life. I've been feeling a little homesick (just a little, and less than I expected), so all this came at the perfect time. It's funny how sometimes you get what you need right when you need it, even when you don't even know to ask for it. The universe works in funny ways, and sometimes a lesson or two sink in:

Now that I don't see my friends and family, I guess I realize how great they are. **Checks that item off of "Lessons to Learn While on Planet Earth" list.**

More so than when I left for college, or worked other jobs, or went back to college, I realize just how great my little ragtag group of friends, family and acquaintances is. It's great to add to that quirky bunch a few equally quirky characters from Quinhagak and the surrounding area. You really never can have too many quirky friends.

No comments: