Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Friends Make All the Difference

I've now figured out why most people who leave the bush after a year or two do so. It's not the weather (although that's a factor). It's not the people (again, also a factor, but not the whole thing). It's the fact that your social group is severely limited. If you're a person (like myself) who values a few close friends and doesn't necessarily go for huge gatherings of relatively unknown people, you're OK here as long as you can find a few people to be with. However, if you need that constant variation in who you hang out with, or you don't find anyone in your village with whom you just "click," I can see this place getting very, very lonely.

Luckily, I've got three great fellow teachers that I really feel like I can hang out with. Helps that we're all 20-something women, but that's not all. Each of them is very different from the others, but all three posess different qualities that I value in my friends.

I think I really lucked out. :-)

No comments: