Wednesday, October 06, 2004

So Much Geeky, So Little Time

You know you're a geeky girl in the middle of nowhere when (a) the postmaster is your best friend because she is the person from whom you receive amazon.com or powells.com book orders, (b) the fact that planes aren't flying out to your village doesn't bother you except that said book orders can't arrive if the planes don't fly, (c) you realize that there's not a single fiction book coming in aforementioned book orders, and (d) you still insist on borrowing a book from a high school student because she says that it is, in her opinion, the best book written by a Native Alaskan (it's called Raising Ourselves, I'll post a report).

My parents should have known I'd grow into a nerd when they had to ground me from reading (in addition to the whole going-outside-watching-TV-playing-with-friends thing) when I got in trouble as a kid...

It's been a rough week for everyone at school. This things seems to come and go in waves. Last week, Friday came and we all commented on how it couldn't possibly be Friday already. Today it's Wednesday and I feel totally deserving of a weekend. The kids haven't been any better or worse-behaved. I'm not sure what it is. One of the older ladies (I think she might qualify as an "elder," but I'm not sure) at the school commented that when the weather changes, it messes with us. We're animals after all. Much as we try to separate ourselves from the other beasts, we're still under the influence of Ma Nature.

And now, with my roommate's dog snoring happily on my bed (he won't sleep in her empty bed for some reason), I bid thee goodnight. I'm tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Smacs,

I'm reading a book right now called Cloud Atlas (can't remember the author at the moment).... I just started it but it seems like a really cool concept for a book. If you want a break from non-fiction that is....

dz