Monday, February 28, 2005

A Swift Self-Kick in the Pants (Boring Teacher Post)

I've been a bit lazy lately. It's February. February can be a long month. My desk wasn't so much a work station as a storage unit. I could barely work at it. Those who know me know that if my surroundings are messy, I don't function well. Yesterday, I decided I'd had it. I've known for months how I want my classroom set up, but I haven't had the desire to take a full day out of my weekend to do the work.

Yesterday was that day.

My desk is in a new, better place... blocking off the little niche of my room where the filing cabinets, microwave and little fridge are located. My students know that my desk is my space, but now there's no question that the area by the files and food is also my personal space.

It's also nice because I've finally figured my job out, meaning that I can organize my classroom around what I need, not what I think I might maybe need. Sheesh, it only took me six months to figure out and an a 12-hour Sunday of work to get right.

First year teaching is a bitch. Like I said to our dean of students today... I've got a "What I'll do differently next year" list that's really more of an epic novel.

No comments: