Thursday, February 03, 2005

I'm About Due for a Honey Bucket Post

The usual warning when it comes to honey bucket posts: if poop and pee talk offends you, stop. Then again, if poop and pee talk really, truly offends you, we probably have little in common... and we know for sure that you're not a primary school teacher.

Let me tell you... you want to stay humble? Keep your feet firmly planted on the ground? For one week, personally dispose of your own wastes.

So my roommate and I were having a very high-minded conversation about race relations and other such lofty things. It was a very intellectually stimulating conversation and I was thinking, "Wow, we really are smart people, Roomie and I." Just then, I realized that tonight was my night on honey bucket dumping duty. So there I was, with my almost-complete masters degree, fresh out of a spirited conversation on race expectations in various parts of the United States, dumping a tied-off plastic bag of pee and anuq out of a ten-gallon pail into a small dumpster already containing a few of my neighbors' tied-off bags in the freezing darkness. Talk about a return to the real world.

It does serve as a reminder that people are, in the end, nothing but big poop machines.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your honey bucket posting reminds me of when I went to UWSP in the early '70's...... During my sophmore year I stayed at a Boy Scout camp near Nelsonville...Rent was free, only had to pay utilities for the trailer house.... One drawback, in winter, I had to use the outhouse located 50 ft in back of the trailer. If I forgot to bring in the outhouse toilet seat from the previous visit, I would have about a half inch of ice on the seat to sit on the next morning. All this fun, and only 10 minutes from your home place in ST. PT.

Uncle