Saturday, February 26, 2005

Ice Fishing

I took a bunch of kids ice fishing today. Ice fishing the old-fashioned way: with sticks that have fishing line tied to them. We were smelt fishing (small fish) and darn if it wasn't fun.

At about noon, a student came to get me. Roomie gave us a ride out to where the fishin's good (and where other people have already drilled holes). On the way, we picked up about four other kids, drove them to their houses to get outfitted in snowpants, etc, and FINALLY got to the ice fishing spot at ten after one.

Let the good times commence. On our walk from the road to the spot, we picked up two more kids. Once we got out there, we found our school secretary already there, along with two students and their dad, and some other folks.

Since we had picked up the two extra kids, we were now short two "iqseks" (sticks for fishing, don't quote me on the spelling). As a result, I only got to fish for about five minutes, but I did bring in two fish, plus the one that got snagged just as I handed my stick to a student... so I count it as three. Three little tiny fish which I gave to a student since it's not worth it to keep smelt unless you've got a bunch to make soup or something.

Good times, good times.

No comments: