Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Just Gotta Share

I figure since I exposed you guys to the worst of Quinhagak (the massive-by-village-standards dope bust), I'll keep you informed of the good, as well.

A group of junior high students competed in the district's science fair, and won it. The requirements for the project were to combin native knowledge and culture with modern scientific techniques. They won the district contest, and went on to the state competition. They won! Their project was hella-cool, I have to admit. They built a miniature model of a traditional Yup'ik sod home, as well as a miniature model of a frame house (with insulation and everything), then compared heat retention in both houses. The sod house won out, but not by much.

And on a somewhat unrelated note, I'm watching ABC, waiting for the AK news to come on because our students were interviewed, and the show Wife Swap is on. Bear in mind that this is not something I would EVER watch under any other circumstances. Anyway, this one mother is ranting and raving at a lesbian couple, saying that they are immoral and... what was her word... oh right, depraved for allowing themselves to be near her children. Now, I like guys as much as the next straight gal, but to call someone depraved to his/her face?! Just for their sexual preference?! These were the least in-your-face lesbians ever! Sheesh, I know straight girls who are more butch than these women were. There are some nasty people I will just never understand and who, quite frankly, I have no desire to understand. Maybe that makes me closed-minded, I don't know.

Anyway, yay for Quinhagak science fair participants, boo for bigoted scary bible-thumping bitches who couldn't be any less Christian-acting if they tried, and yay again for flush plumbing and bathtubs.

No comments: