Wednesday, January 11, 2006

You Win Some, You Lose Some

My Martha Stewart phase continues.

I made a few more candles the other night. Wacky good fun. Melting, pouring, burning. What's not fun about any of those steps? Again, for a half-assed beginners attempt, they came out fairly well. Better than my first try, actually. One in the win column.

Then I noticed an empty Burt's Bees lip balm tin. It may or may not be empty because I left it in the pocket of a pair of pants, then washed them with hot water. I will neither confirm nor deny those allegations. Accusations of inappropriate laundry-doing aside, I thought "What the heck, as long as I'm melting shit and having fun doing it, I might as well try my hand at lip balm."

The ingredients seemed simple, according to the bottom of the tin... basically, natural beeswax (which I have some of), and various kinds of oil (my selection was slightly more limited, but really... isn't olive oil good for pretty much everything? Wouldn't it be good for lips?) and then whatever else you want to flavor it with. I poured, I mixed. Tiny amounts, of course. My lips aren't huge (I'm no Angelina Jolie) and neither is the Burt's Bees lip balm container.

It came out OK, I guess. I need to re-melt it and add more oil, though. So we'll call that a tie... a half victory.

Then... the frosting. I made brownies last night. Just out-of-the-box, boring brownies. I thought "Wow, these would be great with frosting." Having neither a can of frosting nor a recipe for frosting (and no internet by which to obtain one), and it being too late in the central time zone to call anyone for a recipe, I decided to, um... make something up. I had some cream cheese, and thought "Mmm... cream cheese frosting."

Well, apparently this cream cheese had been frozen at some point, because while it tasted fine, it was kind of dried out and crumbly. So while I got the frosting to TASTE all right, I never got a decent texture/consistency. One in the loss column.

So my Martha Stewart record is 1-1-1. Could be worse, I guess.

1 comment:

Jody said...

you deserve a round of appluse.
the motivation!
the ingenious use of house hold objects!
the almost stunning success rate!

keep channeling martha and mabye you will be the proud owner of de-co-podged, decoposhed, deco...

screw it... i've got nothing...