Wednesday, December 08, 2004

It's Official

The great state of Alaska has seen fit to grant me a teaching license, K-12 ESL. Arrived in the mail today (December 8), which is *cough* lightning-fast since I only sent in my application last August. I'm not going to complain, though... those of you who were with me through the whole license-application fiasco last summer (gives me an ulcer, a nervous breakdown and a stress-induced heart attack just thinking about how messed up the whole process got...) should be both relieved for me (because I know you're nice like that) and saying "See? What the hell were you so freaked out about?" Go ahead and say it: I told you so. You especially, Dad. Just say it. You'll feel better.

Anyway, It's nice and snowy here now (it's been flurry-ing for two days straight). Maybe by this weekend I'll be able to try out my new snowshoes! Then again, maybe not. I'm debating taking a solo mini-vacation for spring break, just somewhere in Alaska where there's more snow, or maybe just somewhere I've never been (which is most places). However, I also want to save up to buy a 4-wheeler, and might just want to save up my money at that point. 4-wheelers are not for recreation here as they are in some places (neither are snowmachines... er... snowmobiles), they're the preferred mode of transportation. I really don't like being dependent on getting the school van (old, scary, huge, broken down Chevy Suburban), coordinating when I want to go to and leave from school with four coworkers, having to ask the principal for the keys on the weekend to go to the store. It's like being back in high school sharing a car with my sister (although our driving ages never really overlapped that much), except in this case there are five of us. Getting my own wheels, even little 4-wheeler wheels, would make me like a real grown-up.

No comments: