Sunday, April 24, 2005

Every Year, I Forget

Every year around this time (OK, earlier in the Lower 48), I'm reminded of just how beautiful and wonderful the world around us can be. I'm talking, of course, about SPRING!

After a wonderfully lazy morning, I stepped out the door to find weather somewhere in the 50s (I think)... cloudless sunshine... kids riding around on their bikes with soaked pant legs... adults out fixing things... planes flying, landing, and delivering mail and people with no problems... geese and ducks returning... you get the idea. That it was 15 degrees and blowing (quite painfully, I might add) snow only four days ago is almost unimaginable.

This is why I love living in a varying climate. I love changes in weather. Every year, I just want to skip and dance and run nekkid through the fields (metaphorically, of course, Mom and Dad) when it finally warms up... and then, come fall, I relish putting on jeans and sweatshirts and jackets and sweaters. I think it appeals to the short-attention-spannedness of my personality to be constantly able to look forward to a change. Ever notice how, every year, the first time it "smells like snow" and the first time it "smells like spring" seem special? Never mind that I'll soon be sick to death of heat and mosquitoes and humidity and being sweaty, and every winter I'm soon sick to death of having to take 10 minutes just to get dressed to brave the cold, and I'm five seconds from trading my soul for five minutes of tropical sunshine...

No comments: