Sunday, November 14, 2004

It's 11pm, do you know where your teacher is?

Sundays are... well... Sundays are nap days in my family. The following was, and probably still is, the schedule growing up in my parents' home: (1) Church, (2) Lunch and doughnuts (doughnuts for the well-behaved-in-church only), (3) Football-watching accompanied by jumping and screaming, (4) Naps. So I've been well-conditioned to be gloriously slothful on Sunday afternoons, even if I'm not going to church (church in Yup'ik just doesn't make much sense to me, and I'm not Moravian anyway) or watching football (our satellite package is California-local, and do I really care about how any of those teams are doing?!).

Flash forward to 11pm, and lesson planning still isn't done. One of these days I'll get my shit together and get enough done on Friday afternoons to not have to work this many hours on Sunday. It's just that I'm exhausted by the end of the school day on Friday and can't focus so well...

My aunt (a teacher for many years) says that my cousin (a second-year teacher) says that second year of teaching is much, much easier than the first. I can't wait.

Anyway, right now I'm thinking short-term. Next Wednesday, we get a half day, and then it's OFF TO FAIRBANKS! I can't wait. Have I mentioned this four million times already? I don't care. I'll say it again. I can't wait. I love my job, love it here, love the students... but damn if I don't need a break.

And maybe a beer. ;-)

No comments: