Wednesday, November 24, 2004

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Grr

The jet from Bethel to Anchorage (and from Anchorage, then, to Fairbanks) is taking off right now. One minor problem... looking around, I notice that I am not, as planned, folded into a tiny airplane seat (A.D.D.sidenote: did you know that the bigger the plane, the less legroom they give you? the 7-seaters are luxurious in comparison to a 747) on said jet. I am instead in my classroom, staring at ungraded papers that I thought were going to sit blissfully ignored on my desk until my return. It's hard to return if you can't leave.

I didn't realize how badly I needed this mini-vacation until I discovered we weren't leaving. I knew I was excited and all, but when I heard that the airline had called and said no planes could come this way, I was overtaken by a very strong urge to climb into bed. Being very, very disappointed is hard work. That's what I get, I suppose, for getting way too excited about a single weekend, knowing full well that everything here is "weather permitting."

People around here say "weather permitting" like some Muslims say "Inshalla" (or however it's spelled, I can't remember exactly). Instead of "God willing," it's "weather willing." You just kinda pin it onto the end of your stated plans, just to make it perfectly clear that it's totally out of your hands.

Lesson learned.

I'm not touching those papers. I'm on vacation, even if I'm still here. And if we do get out... well then, even better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Sara. You are safe and sound where you are...I just openned up the Wichita paper to read where seven people have already spoiled their own and their family's Thanksgiving driving on Kansas highways.

And if the bush pilots didn't want to fly, it must have been bad.....!

Make the most of your time off, even if its curling up with a good book or watching a good movie....

Uncle

Anonymous said...

Sara - I know how disappointed you are - your uncle is right(see previous comment - wow I am finally admitting that my older brother is right! Took almost 50 years to do that!)

We all have a lot to be thankful for and I do appreciate having a daughter who is as kind and loving as you. Miss you, and love you.

The Smacca said...

Jerry... didja see that? My mother said you were right.

Anyway, we're trying to fly out again tomorrow. Here's hopin' for good weather!