Wednesday, April 19, 2006

RE: The Whole Duke LaCrosse Team Rape Thing

I won't comment on the case. I just want to clarify one thing.

LaCrosse is still a collegiate sport? LaCrosse is still a sport, at all? LaCrosse is anything more than a mid-sized college city in western Wisconsin?

I thought it had gone the way of Field Hockey: relegated to elementary school P.E. class and bad movies about unrealistic high school experiences (*cough*American Pie*cough*). Imagine my shock to find that it's still played by grown-ups (or by college students who are... well... legally grown-ups, anyway).

Learn somethin' new every day. In my 26 years of life experience encompassing three states, two universities, and many, many cases of beer, I have yet to meet a single person who plays LaCrosse... unless I've met some closet LaCrosse player who won't admit their true LaCrosse-playing nature. Apparently, however, there are at least enough players to field at least one team at Duke University, because they're in big, big trouble. Whoda thunk it?

2 comments:

sweetpea said...

The city I live in has a 'professional' lacrosse team... now i believe that all of the players hold other jobs, but they do get a small salary for playing and it is a pretty big league in the province. One of my co-workers's son is a star player on the team. SWAT team member by day, lacrosse star by night.

Shibby said...

Sheesh...you obviously don't watch much late-night ESPN2! ;-)

http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com