Monday, March 06, 2006

VICTORY IS MINE! Or maybe, VICTORY IS MY IMMUNE SYSTEM'S!

I got sick last week.

BUT... for the first time since coming to Alaska and starting my teachign career a year and a half (or... holy crap, where is this year going... a year and three quarters ago) ago, I was able to keep the illness from knocking me flat on my arse. They say that your fist two years of teaching are the worst while every illness the little snotty-nosed darlings bring in makes its way past your immune system, but I had my doubts as to the veracity of the claims that stated "It totally gets better after your first two years." Thus all those claims about the phenomenal immune systems of elementary school teachers.

Here's hoping... Being at some stage of illness ("coming down with something," "walking dead," "totally feeling better but still feeling a little stuffy/tired/hacking cough in my chest") 50% of the time got old really, really fast. This time around, I was stuffy and a little tired for a few days, then I (and here's the miraculous part) RECOVERED. Completely. Quickly. Without lingering symptoms.

Watch, someday I'll move someplace where the germs are totally different than Quinhagak germs and I'll be forced to go through the process all over again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and by "someday I'll move someplace" you mean this summer you're moving to the tundra villages? BUT here in the tundra villages we have the good germs. :) So there will be no starting over... ":)

The Smacca said...

Dear anonymous reader from an equally anonymous tundra village,

Nah.