Thursday, February 02, 2006

Tomgirls

The following is plucked from a conversation I had with a class of first grade boys. Actually, as you'll see, the whole conversation was pretty passive on my part...

First Grader #1: "Right, Sara, if a girl plays with boy toys, she's a tomboy?"

Me: *not wanting to touch this one with a ten foot pole* "Um..."

First Grader #2: "Right? And if we play with girl toys, then we're tomgirls?"

Me: "Um..."

First Grader #1: "But my sister makes me play girl toys with her."

Me: *runs out of classroom weeping*

OK, so I didn't flee the school. But it's been a long week. I haven't been falling asleep very well, so I'm short on sleep, and I didn't have time to grab my cup of coffee this morning. An impromptu lesson on gender identity to a bunch of six and seven year-olds was just way beyond my capabilities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I was at the dog park yesterday and I was talking to this guy and his four year old daughter. Their dog Odie comes running by and the little girl says "That's Odie! He's a boy!! He has a PENIS!!"

ummm ... yes, yes he does!

love the beady bracelet by the way. :D