Thursday, December 22, 2005

Greetings from the Floor

Here I am, coming to you live from the floor of a friend's apartment in Bethel, Alaska.

Actually, I'm in a chair at a computer, but I'm sleeping on the floor tonight, and was doing so until just a few minutes ago when I woke up incredibly thirsty and, strangely, no longer sleepy.

I realize that I have been throwing a lot of really short entries out there... and no pictures. Let's just say I'm busy and will try harder in the new year, 'k? Tomorrow I fly to Anchorage, where I will be boarding a direct flight from Anchorage to Maui to hang out in the balmy tropical goodness with the family. This is a good thing. And since I will probably not be posting AT ALL from Hawaii, I'm going to give you my inane reflections on the earthy revolution-based time-measuring unit number 2005. Take them for what they're worth, and if you are offended by the phrase "poop factory," please move along:
  1. Life is good. Just kind of in general. I can recall times in the not-so-recent past when I did not think life was so good... but I'm happy to say with great certainty that it is.
  2. If something makes you happy (deep-down happy, not just momentarily, superficially happy), it's probably a good thing. Stop thinking and go with it.
  3. Kindergarteners are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.
  4. Don't worry so much about what other people think. Showing off or doing things just for applause from others is for the insecure. Just when you think you're pretty damn smart or cool or funny or whatever, you have to carry a bucket of your own waste out to a hopper filled with other people's similar waste. Then you realize: no matter how extraordinary you think you are, you're just a poop factory like everyone else.
  5. Remember when your teacher reprimanded you for making those farty noises with your hand and armpit? Rest assured that he/she was probably laughing on the inside. Same for the time you tried out that new word your uncle/cousin/older brother taught you but said not to use in front of adults. Same for the time you sat on another student's lap during recess and passed gas on purpose.
  6. Don't expect everyone around you to do a good job. Some people just don't care about their work, but that's no excuse for not doing a good job yourself.
  7. For Chrissake, ask for help if you need it.
  8. Routine is not necessarily boring. I crave certain routines... waking up with someone, doing my daily work, then coming home to a normal, "us" evening. Nothing special... just living out life like the billions of other poop factories on this planet. Appreciate what you've got; the day-to-day stuff is where the magic lies... I think.
  9. You wouldn't believe the parts of fish that are edible.
  10. Open your heart. F#%* it. It may be a little dangerous, but it's pretty rewarding.

I promise... I will have pictures upon my return from Hawaii. I got a new memory card for the fancy new camera... so I can take more than seven pictures without having to stop and upload them to my computer (which is good since I'm leaving it behind in Alaska).

No comments: