Friday, July 15, 2005

Happy Harry Potter Day

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, after months of anticipation, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince comes out at midnight tonight. Mine should be delivered to my parents' house by the Amazon.com fairy sometime tomorrow. I'm not a stand-in-line-at-midnight kind of person, honestly. I just don't like crowds that much, and besides, I've got better things to do on a Friday night... most of which don't involve standing in a line unless it's crowded up at the bar.

Crotchetyness aside, though, YAY! New Harry Potter Book! If you really, seriously think you're too cool or old for it, bah. I passed up the reading level required for a Harry Potter book sometime around the age of ten, and I still love 'em. And not just because I'm a teacher and intend to use them as read-aloud material next year. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with all the Britishisms while reading to kids who have difficulty with standard AMERICAN English, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Speaking of coming to that bridge, I guess I'll be crossing it pretty soon, huh? I fly out of Minneapolis and into Anchorage on the 30th of this month. I'll probably still bum around Anchorage for a few days, even though my Dad can't visit like he had planned, because I've had so little "me" time this summer. I love my friends and it was great staying with a house full of great people and a hella-cute baby, but I'm somewhat antisocial at times and I think the alone time will do me good. So much to do before then... visit yarn store and stock up on fun yarn for the winter... drink enough beer so that I don't miss it for the first few months... I'd better get crackin', huh?

So, um, yeah. Tangent. Anyway, read Harry Potter. If you're not sure, read the first book... it's short, easy-to-read, and if you hate it, you haven't killed as much time as if you had read, say, the 5th book.

No comments: