Monday, March 21, 2005

I'm BAAAAAAAAACK

Made it safe and sound (no travel delays in EITHER DIRECTION this time; the gods were smiling down on me) to the village. School started uneventfully if a little late (late start today due to weather) and I'm trying my best to get myself and my students settled back into academic life after a week of fishing, hunting, and playing (for them) and drinking, eating and playing (for me).

Anyway, for those of you who know me personally, and would have cause to call me, and attempted to do so yesterday, you may have noticed that our phone is a big piece of crap. It doesn't work when it's windy (something's wrong with our line outside), and it was windy as a mothaf***a yesterday. The phone rang a bunch of times, but I couldn't even tell who was on the other end. So if it was you... sorry! Hopefully the wind will die down (it seems a little better today) and it will again be functional. If not, call me at school.

So... vacation recap: Therese and Pasha and their housemates are AWESOME! I cannot stress this enough. They rock. San Francisco is a kickass town and I want to go back again and be able to stay longer. So much to see, so little time. Monterey is also cool. Very interesting town, population-wise... bunch of college students (international and domestic), bunch of military folks, bunch of retirees. St Patrick's day is a great holiday because it's really just all about the drinking.

Going from the village to California was a little (ok, a lot) surreal. I mean, they have wineries and sushi restaurants and all that stuff. Scary multi-lane highways. People I haven't seen before. All sorts of stuff that is perfectly normal for the rest of the country but completely outside the realm of my everyday experience.

It was fun, and I'd love to go back... but it's good to be back.

No comments: